When it comes to protecting yourself against bacteria and viruses, practicing good hand washing is the most effective. But what if you’re out and about?
You can make your own homemade hand sanitizer with aloe vera gel. Never run out of store-bought sanitizer again. Here’s how to make your own supply at home.
Necessary ingredients to make hand sanitizer:
You will need the following ingredients to make your own hand sanitizer:
- A high-quality pure aloe vera gel
- Isopropyl alcohol or ethanol (91-99% alcohol)
- A few drops of essential oil (use clove, eucalyptus, peppermint or any other antibacterial essential oil)
That’s it! You will need to mix these as 1 part aloe vera to two parts alcohol for the right concentration and effectiveness.
In order to make aloe vera hand sanitizer at home, make sure you use the following precautions to ensure no contamination occurs:
- Wipe down all the countertops with diluted disinfectant before using the surface to make the gel.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and wear gloves to reduce bacterial contamination
- Use a clean spoon, bowl and whisk to mix the gel.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly before transferring to disinfected containers.
- Do not touch the gel before it’s ready and before it is decanted into the container.
How does aloe vera work to sanitize?
Aloe vera is a rich plant packed with a nutritious gel that is prized for its health potential. Due to its abundance in nutrients and phytochemicals, aloe vera gel has a variety of well known health benefits including everything from soothing insect bites to providing after-sun relief and more. In fact, it has been used for thousands of years for its potential health benefits.
Aloe vera is known for its antimicrobial and antiviral properties. In particular, aloe vera contains polyphenols that inhibit the growth of bacteria that can cause infections to humans. It’s also rich in skin-protective vitamins, including vitamin A, C and E.
Therefore, aloe vera is a brilliant natural ingredient that can be used alongside ethanol to ward off illnesses and infections.
Are all synthetic store bought sanitizers effective?
There are many reasons why making your own homemade sanitizer can be better for your skin.
Store bought hand sanitizers are often filled with additional harsh chemicals and heavy fragrances that draw out moisture - leading to cracks and dry flaky skin. Additionally, some hand sanitizers only contain a low percentage of ethanol - the main active ingredient in sanitizer responsible for its antibacterial properties.
Take matters into your own hands and make your own sanitizer at home - so you can know exactly what you are using on your skin. Aloe vera gel is a great addition to any hand sanitizer formulation, as it is rich in antimicrobial properties and also works to nourish and maintain your skin’s moisture to avoid rashes and irritated dry skin.
Is DIY hand sanitizer safe?
If you stick to the minimal ingredients listed above in the correct proportions, then your homemade hand sanitizer is completely safe for use.
Ensure you are taking all precautionary measures to reduce contamination risks to the mixture, and keep this mixture away from children in case of incorrect consumption.
How to use:
Now that you’ve got your hand sanitizer ready, it’s time to put it to use. Here’s how to use your hand sanitizer for maximum protection and effectiveness:
- Apply or spray the sanitizer onto one hand.
- Rub your hands thoroughly, covering all surface areas of your fingers and hands to coat evenly.
- Continue rubbing your hand for 30 to 60 seconds or until your hands are dry.
- Use as needed, and make sure you also wash your hands throughout the day to reduce your risk of contracting illnesses.
Hand sanitizer can be a handy to-go way of killing off bacteria and viruses to prevent infections when hand-washing isn’t available.
Synthetic store bought hand sanitizers are often laden with harsh chemicals and ingredients that dry out your skin - and are often not potent enough to kill most viruses and bacteria.
Instead, make your own homemade hand sanitizer with aloe vera gel for maximum effectiveness - whilst nourishing your hand and preventing the side effects of applying synthetic sanitizers.