Did you know that you can use cocoa butter for stretch marks during pregnancy?
But, does it actually work on ridding the stretch marks?
Continue reading to find out what are stretch marks, why women have them and how cocoa butter for stretch marks is the best natural remedy.
What are stretch marks
Stretch marks also known as Striae Distensae is the condition that relates to skin scarring. Stretch marks can look like long stripes and streaks. They are usually visible on body parts such as tummy, lower back, breasts, thighs, and upper arms.
In general, stretch marks are a result of an abrupt stretching of the skin. They occur when skin is not able to bounce back after a period of intense growth like after pregnancy or after sudden weight loss.
Although anyone one can have stretch marks but they affect women more than men, especially after the pregnancy.
Why do women get stretch marks
A variety of reasons can lead to formation of stretch marks in women such as genetics, poor diet, body growth, puberty, and pregnancy.
However, skin stretching and inflation of cortisol in the body are major reasons. Cortisol is one of the hormones released by the adrenal gland that can cause skin to lose its elasticity sometimes.
Reasons that can cause stretch marks
- Excessive use of corticosteroid pills, creams, and lotions can increase the risk of stretch marks by reducing the skin’s ability to stretch.
- Sudden weight gain or loss can be another big reason for it.
- In addition to this, stretch marks may also become visible due to acute trauma such as car accident.
- Most women get stretch marks during pregnancy when body makes room for the developing baby.
Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
During pregnancy, women’s bodies grow faster than their skin. It’s normal for a pregnant woman to gain 25- to 30 pounds during this phase. And, this causes elastic fibers under the skin to crack, resulting in the stretch marks.
Most of the pregnant women fear stretch marks so much so that they even avoid talking about them. However, they can help preventing it by using cocoa butter for stretch marks during pregnancy.
Let’s see how does cocoa butter help with stretch marks.
Stretch Marks and Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter for stretch marks is considered to be a popular effective home remedy. It is a pale-yellow edible oil which is derived from vegetable fat and cocoa.
Cocoa butter is a natural moisturizer that doesn’t include any chemicals. As a result, it is absolutely safe to use on skin. It helps in combating the linear marks on the skin caused by pregnancy.
Cocoa butter is solid at room temperature but it melts easily when applied on the skin. Its melting temperature is below human body temperature. Therefore, it is often used in the form of creams and lotions.
Is cocoa butter good for stretch marks
Cocoa butter is rich in antioxidants and contains vitamins such as A, B1, B2, B3, C, E. In addition to this, it contains the right blend of different fatty acids including lauric acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid, myristic acid, etc.
Cocoa butter is quite helpful in removing stretch marks. When it is applied on stretch marks, it penetrates inside the skin and softens tissues responsible for scars.
Nutrients present in cocoa butter make it an excellent skin moisturizer, which not only prevents skin dryness but also heals skin from within.
Moreover, it refreshes the skin and is quite helpful in improving the elasticity and collagen retention. Additionally, cocoa butter also promotes the production of new and healthy cells in the body.
In short, benefits of cocoa butter in preventing stretch marks are enormous.
Where to buy Organic Cocoa butter
Cocoa butter is easily available in most grocery stores and markets where you shop for makeup and salon products. However, if you’re looking the best cocoa butter for stretch marks made of organic formulation, try Seven Minerals Magnesium Cocoa Butter Body Creme which includes Vitamin E.
This product contains the right amount of organic cocoa butter, natural Vitamin E and magnesium which reaches deep into the skin cells and improves the elasticity. The best part is it is a non-toxic organic product with absolutely no side-effects on skin.
How to Remove Stretch Marks with Cocoa Butter
Clean the area to be treated with a good quality cleanser and pat it dry using a soft and clean cloth. It is better to use it just after the shower.
- Take coin-sized dollop of cocoa butter creme and gently massage it on the target area. As soon as it is applied on the skin it starts melting.
- Until all the cocoa butter is soaked up by the skin naturally, keep massaging it gently in circular strokes. Apply it more on dry areas.
- Let it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. You can also wrap the area with strips of cloth to lock the moisturizer inside the skin. Use it on tight muscles and tired feet.
- Repeat this method twice a day; once in the morning and once before going to bed.
- Skin needs continual use of cocoa butter to avoid stretch marks and heal them. Therefore, use it regularly for extended periods.
Cocoa butter is extremely effective and safe in eliminating the appearance of stretch marks after pregnancy. You just need to make constant use of cocoa butter for stretch marks during and after pregnancy.